I love being a dad, it's one of life's great blessings and I wish all dads could see this. Don't get me wrong, there are days that I contemplate gagging them with gag tape for their sassiness, or physically forcing them to smell the dirty underwear they just conveniently forgot to pick up off the bathroom floor and put into the laundry basket.
Then there are those days where their love seems to dance around you like children surrounding a birthday cake, or where they will have a conversation with you like you are their best and most trusted friend.
There are days they will come and give you a hug or a cuddle just because they want to, with no ulterior motive besides letting you know that you are their dad and that they are thankful for this fact, The may also be showing gratitude ahead of time for the treat you are bond get them later that day.
There are those days that they will notice the smallest change that no one else has, even your wife, or ask you if you are ok when they sense something is on your mind.
And then there is fathers day, the day where they muster all their creative ability and pour their love and gratitude into a card, a gift or breakfast in the best way they know how. Fathers day to me is a reminder to reflect on all the great blessings there are of being a dad.
Even on the tough days, being a dad is still one of the best things in the world. So if you're a dad, cherish every moment! And if you're not a dad yet, just wait - it's worth the wait. Trust me. :)
There are so many reasons why it's amazing, but here are my top 5:
- You get to experience unconditional love like no other, it's true, it's pure, with no ulterior motive. If your child asks you to play ball with them, it's not so much about playing ball, but about spending time with you, their super hero.
- You get to see the world through fresh eyes again. I love this, seeing the wonder in their eyes with every new place we visit on our travels, or different food we eat, or experience we have as a family.
- You can teach your kids about anything and everything. You get to impact the world through how you raise your kids, its not easy but is the most intrinsically rewarding thing you could do.
- You can make them laugh (or at least try). Dad jokes, they bring me such joy even if they fall flat sometimes, ok, most times. But there are days that your dad joke will have everyone rolling with laughter and snorting like piggies - and you think to yourself, I could be a comedian.
- They make me so much better. A man that takes being a dad seriously will become a better human being. From the little things like common manners and swearing, to the bigger things, like responsibilities and commitments, we grow tremendously.
I am a better person because i'm a dad, I'll continue to try and be better everyday because i'm a dad. I'll continually strive to be better and make this world a better place for my kids and because of my kids There are so many more things that I love about being a dad besides these 5.
Being a father is one of life's greatest blessings, and I wish ALL dads could see this, you are the ones that help them create a better world, a better world than the one that you knew as a kid perhaps.
So next time they ask you to play ball or have a tea party, remember that they are asking their HERO to show up.
Dream Cast Kids Journal.
We have included writing prompt to help reinforce the concepts such as empathy and kindness, gratitude and more in both the Dream Cast Journal and Dream Cast Conversation Starter Cards tying the learning experience together perfectly.